Friday, January 25, 2008

Frugal Recipe Swap

Gayle at The Grocery Cart Challenge is doing a low cost recipe swap today so I started thinking about what low cost meals I make and here's what I came up with:

Sheperd's Pie
*This recipe is great for using up leftover mashed potatoes and is a fantastic winter dish*

4 large potatoes peeled and cubed
1 tbsp. butter - for making mashed potatoes but you can make however you like
1 bag frozen mixed vegetables
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 small onion chopped
1 lb. ground beef
2 tbsp. flour
2 tbsp. ketchup OR 1/4 cup worcestershire sauce (we prefer with worcestershire sauce)
3/4 beef broth
2 tbsp. minced garlic
1/4 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese (optional)
salt and pepper to taste


Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Bring a large pot of water to boil and add potatoes. cook however you like for mashed potatoes. Drain, mash, season with salt and pepper if you like and set aside.

Heat oil in large frying pan. add onion and cook until clear. Add ground beed and cook until well browned. pour off excess fat, then stir in flour and cook for 1 minute. Mix in ketchup/worcestershire sauce, garlic and beef broth and bring to a boil. Add frozen mixed vegetables and simmer for 5 minutes.

Spread ground beef mixture in an even layer in a 2 quart casserole dish. Top with mashed potatoes and cheddar cheese if you'd like.

Bake in oven for 20 minutes or until potato crust is golden brown. Serve with warm crusty bread or garlic bread.

5 comments:

Gayle said...

This looks so good! I just might have to add this one to next weeks menu! So sounds like some good comfort food!

Amanda said...

Just the other day I was trying to remember how to make Shepard's Pie. It's so good, and you're right -- it's great this time of year. Thanks for sharing!

ConservaChick said...

Sounds delish! I think my kids might just eat off the topping, but that's OK... that's where daddies come in! ~K

EEEEMommy said...

Yummy!

liz said...

yummy is right that sounds just up my alley I think I will try that my self sometime next week....any receipe's that are simple are right up my alley!! thanks...