Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Alexander's First Days of School



Monday was Alexander's first day of preschool. Whenever we asked him about going to school before Monday he'd either be really excited about it or totally against it depending on his mood so we weren't quite sure what to expect on the first day. I'm happy to say that he did great!! we introduced him to his teacher and he didn't hide from her at all (which is what he normally does when meeting someone new). Bill and I got to walk him into his classroom, help him hang up his backpack and find his seat but he was completely calm the whole time. Fifteen minutes after gong to his class he was still okay and coloring a picture at his table so Bill and I decided to leave. We gave him hugs and kisses and told him that we'd be back later to get him. I did get a little teary eyed but I managed to keep them in, yea me!! When we picked him up he was happy to see us and proceeded to tell us all about his day. I was so relieved that he was happy that I was totally blindsided by his reaction to school on Tuesday!!




Tuesday after walking Hannah to the main doors so that she could go to class, I walked Alexander to his class prepared to give him a quick kiss and be on my way. I was not prepared to walk into his class and practically fall over the crying screaming little boy that was clinging to his mother's legs and fighting the teacher. Alexander took one look at the little boy and said "I want to go home". I told him that he had to stay in school and that he was going to have lots of fun but he didn't want to hear it - he wanted to go home. He was calm about it until the little girl across the table from him started crying when her mom got up to leave. He instantly started crying and grabbing my leg while begging me to take him home. His teacher was still trying to calm the other little boy down so eventually his tacher's aid cam e to my rescue. She gave him a hug and started talking to him as I inched toward the door. I said goodbye to him as the TA held him and I walked out closing the door behind me. As soon as the door closed I heard him crying and calling for me and my heart broke. Leaving him was really hard to do but going back in there would have made it worse. I came home and thought of him for 2 1/2 hours wondering if he was okay until it was time to go and get him. When he came out the door he was fine. He was happy to see me and said that he'd had fun at school and told me about his day. Boy was I relieved!!!

Last night we talked about going to school and he said that he liked it and wanted to go and that he wasn't going to cry anymore. I was hoping that he meant it and held my breath this morning as we walked up to his entrance. He asked me to stay with him for a few minutes and I agreed. He looked a little scared and didn't let go of my hand the whole time we waited for the doors to open. Once is teacher came out I walked him into the hall. I stood there with him while the rest of the kids got in line and then I gave him a kiss and told him that it was time for me to go. He said okay and gave me a hug. He did not cry when I left and was fine waiting in line with the rest of his class (I stood outside and peeked in to make sure that he was okay). Again when I picked him up he was happy to see me and told me about his day and all the fun they had.

He seems to enjoy school. I'm hoping that Tuesday's episode was brought on by the other crying kids and that there will not be a repeat performance. I don't think I could handle doing that again!

No comments: