Thursday, December 20, 2007

The Snow Day & Our Christmas Tree

Ok, just so you know, I actually started this post on Monday but I've been so busy I'm just finishing up today. So no, I didn't wait til the VERY last minute to throw up decorations or anything - I'm a slightly better mommy then that!
We woke up on Sunday morning to about a foot of snow. As soon as the kids saw it they were begging to go out and I being a party pooper, told then that they had to at least eat breakfast before they went out. Let me tell you, I don't think they've ever eaten that fast!! So after breakfast Bill went out the dig out the snowblower so that he could clear the driveway and all that good stuff, and I began the impossible task of getting the kids into their snow gear. About 25 minutes, 6 shirts, 5 pairs of pants, 3 pairs of socks, 3 pairs of gloves, 3 jackets, 3 pairs of boots, 2 hats, 2 scarves and 1 pair of tights later the three of us were ready to face the snow. And I swear that they somehow changed personalities while I was getting them dressed! Now Hannah who is usually my cautious "look before you leap" child jumped right into the snow.
Here she is right after coming out of the house - making her way to the swingset

Alexander who is normally my little daredevil, wasn't quite so sure about the snow as his big sister. It took him a few minutes and some encouragement from mom to get him to wade in.

Poor kid, the snow was up to his knees!! After a few steps on his own I had to go in and help him out which resulted in me getting all nice and snowy

Hannah was kind enough to clean off the slide for her brother.

Of course Alexander decided to hang out at the top of the slide for a while so I actually missed him coming down!

Hannah loves making snow angels. Here is her first one for the year!

Alexander thought snow angels looked like fun so he tried to make his very first one (without much success)


When Bill was done with the snowblowing he made the kids a small hill to sled down and they had a blast! Unfortunately, the camera I had with me needs a new battery and it ran out of power before I could get pictures of them sledding, Grrrrr....After about an hour Xander and I decided to come in. He was pretty much done with the snow about 15 minutes after we went out but I managed to keep him occupied by letting him help clean off Bill's car (which was left out in the snow the night before) and by taking a short walk on the already shoveled sidewalk. Hannah is such a daddy's girls that she wanted to stay out and help Bill finish up outside so we let her. That worked out nicely because she then got to "help" bring in the Christmas Tree. Since Hannah's birthday is in the begining of December, I always wait to put up any decorations in the house. I try to make her birthday as special as I can since it's so close to the holiday and this is why we're just bringing in our tree now!

After that, Hannah and I went to my aunt and uncle's house for a "Christmas with the Ladies". My aunt is from Kentucky and is very hospitable - she's always having some type of party. She said that she used to have these christmas parties when she lived ing KY and decided to start the tradition up here this year. We had a nice time and Hannah and my 8 yo cousin Angelina got to play some games with us. Hannah was especially excited to play an ornament game where everyone ended up getting an ornament. Hannah was so excited to show her dad when we got home that she ended up breaking hers and was very upset. Once we calmed her down and asured her that we could get her another ornament, we decorated our tree. Normally Bill and I decorate the tree while the kids run around and play but this year it was especially nice because the kids really helped us out.

Xander wasn't quite sure what to do with the ornaments at first

Hannah was nice enough to show him what to do

Hannah putting up the Angel

My little angels

This is my favorite thing to do all year. I'm so glad that the kids were into it this year. It really helped me get into the Christmas Spirit!!

No comments: